Sunday, April 25, 2010

One nice meal in a dutch home....

So when we were at B's parents place in Hardenberg, his mom cooked up a storm. I was lucky enough to be allowed in the kitchen and managed to contribute to the festive cooking. The results?

Lamb's Lettuce with Beef Carpaccio, Shaved Parmesan, Light Special Dressing and a drizzle of EVOO





B's father is a baker and made these lovely buns to go with the meal. There truly is nothing like his bread. It was disappointing coming home.....
So although this does not look as good as it tastes, I thought it was still essential to post it. This is an asparagus, cheese and bacon tart. Supposedly, it's a family favourite.....although I am lactose-intolerant, my IL didn't stop me from digging into this (after popping some Lactaid pills naturally!)
So, this meat - though it looks like Chinese Five Spice Beef, it is definitely not. It's rollade - basically, beef rolled up and cooked. Not much taste, not much spice, and served cold. I found it hard to appreciate but others thought it was great.
So when B's mom cooked this, she thought it was roast beef. When it came out, we took a look at it and decided it was actually roast veal. It was still really tasty but her biggest concern was that it was overcooked. It was probably medium so perhaps to all of us rare meat eaters, it was slightly overcooked but still really tasty. The next day, B and I bought her a meat thermometer so she no longer needs to worry.
Okay, this photo needs some work. I forgot to clean the bowl before I took the pic but my excuse is that I was in a hurry. People were hungry. This is risotto cooked with red pepper, goat cheese and spinach. Very tasty.
And, we decided to end with some tasty Quebec fortified wine, courtesy of my good friend F. It was tasty and well needed to help digest the massive meal we had. Needless to say, I did not think it necessary to post pictures of the potatoes we had, though, embarrassingly enough, I did take pics of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment